Cell 75

"even then i had not experienced such full, such heart-rending, such completely filled days, as i did in Cell 75 that summer" -- Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Monday, November 07, 2005

You Gotta Love Father Bear -- Childrens Programming Commentary Part I

I probably watch too much childrens TV. We're a one TV household and most nights the kids get to see a few shows or a video in the evening. I'm really not missing anything in terms of adult programming since the pre-primetime hours and most of the primetime hours are a deadzone, unless it's, oh, i dunno, Shark Week. One character I have come across that does amuse me is Little Bears' father, "Father Bear" for no other reason than he goes fishing in a blazer, waistcoat, shirt and tie. That's some old-school formality I have a certain amount of respect for, even though I have no intention of trying to emulate it myself.

Little Bear is a good show for kids, even if the theme music is irritatingly wholesome and it looks like a traditional cartoon, which is quite a contrast with the hip-hop dance stylings and computerized slickness of the Backyardigans.

2 Comments:

At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

...but why does Little Bear not wear clothes, when all of the rest of his family is so well-adorned?

On another matter, don't you think that 'Zaboo-land' segments from Zoboomafoo are subtle endorsements for psychadelic substances? Magic googleberrys that make you larger and smaller??

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger Matt said...

Perhaps, Peter, when they hit puberty they have to cover up, like Muslim girls.

Most Childrens cartoons have some form of indoctrination in them.
Blue's Clues is really the leader here. I mean Steve and Joe are constantly asking me stuff to make sure that i am listening. Very controlling.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home